Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take courses without officially entering the program as a degree-seeking student?
Yes, you can take courses as a non-matriculated student. Step-by-step directions on how to do this can be found here. Please note that only 12 non-matriculated credits can be applied to your degree (5 to the Certificate) once you are accepted into a program. Please note: Non-matriculated students cannot earn Mentored Research credits.

How do I register for courses before I am officially accepted into the program?
If you want to take courses before you are officially accepted, you should register as a non-matriculated student. Step-by-step directions can be found here. Please note that the University of Cincinnati will only accept 15 non-matriculated credits upon entering a degree program, so you should not take more than 12 credits before being officially accepted (5 for the Certificate).

If I finish the Certificate program and decide to pursue the MS degree, will the credits I've already completed apply towards my MS?            Yes, any classes you take in the Certificate program (up to 15) will transfer and count towards your MS degree.

Can I take courses online?
We currently offer the following classes online at least once a year: Introduction to Biostatistics, Introduction to Epidemiology, Ethics in Research, Community-Based Participatory Research, Successful Scientific Writing, Study Design & Analysis, and Survey of Clinical & Translational Research.  We continue to work at converting our traditional courses to online courses, so continue to check back for updates.

I missed the application deadline listed on the Graduate School website. Can I still apply?
The Certificate and the MS in Clinical and Translational Research programs review applications on a rolling basis throughout the year, so you can apply at any time following the next semester's deadline. For the MS program, you can take up to 12 credits as a non-matriculated student; for the Certificate, you can take up to 5 credits as a non-matriculated student, and these will transfer in if you're officially accepted.

Do you require TOEFL scores?
Official TOEFL scores (Institutional code=1833; Department Major Field Code=46) are required, if applicable. A minimum TOEFL score of 600 paper/250 computer test/100 Internet-based is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, unless specifically exempted. The TOEFL requirement is met for applicants with medical or graduate degrees earned from accredited universities and colleges in the US, Canada (except Quebec), England, Australia, New Zealand, or other English-speaking countries.

Which transcripts are required for the application?
The MS program must have an official transcript from all institutions where you received a degree. The Certificate only requires an official transcript from your most recent degree.

How much does the program cost?
To graduate from the MS program, students must complete 30 credits total (including 2 hours of thesis research).  To graduate from the Certificate program, students must complete 10 semester credits.  To view UC tuition costs for the 2012-13 academic year, visit:

Where can I find the class call numbers I need for registration?
Go to, and click on "View Class Offerings." Choose the term, college, and discipline in which you're interested, and you should see information on all the classes currently offered, including course number, call number, and number of credits.

What does it mean when a course is offered only during an odd year or even year?
Some courses are offered on an odd year/even year basis, or every other year. Odd years are academic years that end with an odd number (e.g. 2008-09), and even years are academic years that end with an even number (e.g. 2009-10). For example, Genetics of Complex Disease is a course offered in the fall of every odd year, which means it would be offered during the fall quarter of the 2008-09, 2010-11, etc. academic years. Alternatively, Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease is a course offered in the winter of every even academic year, which means it would be offered during the winter quarter of the 2009-10, 2011-12, etc. academic years. You can view a complete list of courses (including odd year/even year notations) in our degree checklist.

Email if you have additional questions!